Friday, August 25, 2006

the incident at paul's place

cut and pasted from alda's blog:

from Paul Millott, owner, Solar Power Training Centre, 8, Resource Industrial Centre. Old Klang Road, Kuala Lumpur

The following incident occurred OUTSIDE in the car park, not inside any premises

Natasha (witness):

I was walking towards the restaurant next to Rajoo Flour Mill. Just as I saw Paul at the restaurant and went over to join him, I heard gunfire. The first two or three shots were from the opposite side of the car park, but at first I could not see the gunman.

Suddenly a crazed gunman in jeans and black T shirt appeared, running towards Paul and fired shots into the air. He did not identify himself or give any reason why he was firing his gun. He then pointed the gun at Paul and shouted "You get over there", indicating with the gun the direction he wanted him to go. He had just fired two shots about ten feet from the people seated in the restaurant They promptly ran, terrified, knocking over tables and chairs. People in the car park also ran but the gunman turned around and ordered them to come back. At this point Paul ran back to the entrance to his cafe, which was empty but one half of the two shutters was still half open. I saw two or three people rushing out of the cafe and the glass door was shattered in the panic. This was plate glass and will cost something like RM2,000 to replace. The staff had been cleaning up when the shots were fired in the car park and had fled.

Paul pulled down the shutter but by then the gunman was behind him and at once lifted the shutter back up again. I walked over to see what was going on. Paul told the gunman he could not go in because the premises were closed. He then informed Paul he was a police officer. Paul asked him for his ID and he pulled out his wallet and flashed it in the air very fast. I could not see any ID. Paul obviously didn't see it either. Paul asked again to see the ID but the gunman told him that was all he would be allowed to see. Paul stood his ground in the doorway and told the gunman he could not enter. The gunman banged his body up against Paul and shouted “are you pushing me?”. Paul said “I am not pushing you”. The gunman then tried again to knock Paul out of the way. He told Paul that this was Malaysia and the police could do what they liked. Paul asked whether he had a warrant and he replied he did not need one. Then he and another officer in plain clothes forced Paul's hands behind his back and handcuffed him. They gave no reason why they wanted to go into the cafe, or why they put the hand cuffs on Paul.


The gunman, who had pointed a loaded gun at my head a few minutes earlier and his friend, then handcuffed me without giving any reason, as I stood in the doorway to the cafe. Then a man from DBKL appeared and asked for the license. As he did so the police pushed past me and against my will and by force entered my premises,. At this time the premises were empty and closed to the public. No one was inside, except the officers who had forced their way in, and me in handcuffs. The DBKL officer came in and checked the business license and then asked whether I had an entertainment license for the place. I told him that his officers had informed me I did not need an overall entertainment license for a training workshop and had returned my application. I also told him that I had applied for a permit to hold the private function on that day, which was the entertainment license. He denied that I had applied for this licence but I saw the application in his file and pointed it out to him. He told me it was applied for six weeks ago but their officers had been round many many times to the premises but always found it closed, so they had not been able to inspect it, and therefore to issue a license. He told me that I MUST have an Entertainment License to allow the Public to use the premises. I reminded him that the place was a workshop training centre and NOT OPEN TO THE PUBLIC. It is only used only for private bookings. I pointed out to him that he had confirmed the place was not open to the public, on their many visits to the premises, as they had found it closed to the public, on each and every visit.

The DBKL man told me I must go to his office on Monday. After that I asked the police to remove the handcuffs. They did so, and allowed me to go. By this time I was fully convinced the “crazed gunman” was in fact a police officer, so I apologised politely to him to for not allowing him to enter the premises. I Then went home.

I have just got back from DBKL.(21.8.06). The officer told me that the police had interviewed him and told him I had made a police report against him. I told him I only made the report about the police officer firing a gun. The DBKL officer claimed he had arrived as the police were forcing their way in and did not hear any gunshots. He told the police I would not let him in, but in fact he was standing behind the police officer and so was physically unable to enter the premises. I did not want any of them to enter because I know, from the experience of the party held on new Years Eve last year, that they would seize all the equipment brought in by the guests. The equipment seized on New Year's Eve has still not been returned in spite of a Court order issued on 31.7.06 stipulating that it should all be returned to the rightful owners by early September. The police claim that they have still not received the order from the magistrates' court.

Paul Millott, 21.8.06

Additional Information: One of the people in the square had a video camera. He got a clear picture of the police officer walking across the car park with his gun in his hand. There were no threats or disturbance visible. Also on the video is a clear picture of the police officer pointing his pistol at some people sitting in their car waiting to drive home and making them get out so he could arrest them. They did nothing to warrant arrest or to threaten the officer.

The police officers are from Brickfields Police Station.

24 youths are still in the lock up for being found walking across the car park. They will not be let out until next week.

Newspapers are claiming the police opened fire because members of the public had weapons. This is not substantiated and I had no weapons when the police pointed a gun at me.

No comments: